A LOZENGE made from ‘friendly’ bacteria is being used to fight gum disease caused by a build-up of other bacteria on the teeth near the gum line. Gums become more inflamed as the immune system tries to fight the bacteria, and this can be the reason gums bleed when you brush. The chronic inflammation is also associated with a raised risk of heart attach and stroke, possibly as it damages blood vessels. The lozenge contains the probiotic lactobacilli, which usually live in the digestive and urinary systems. They are thought to reduce the Immune system response and inflammation. In a trial at Indias government Dental College and Hospital, 40 patients will receive the probiotic or a placebo four times a day for eight weeks, as well as normal dental treatment.
Our Contact Details
Error: Invalid or expired token.
- We’re hiring!17th March 2017 - 8:16 pm
- 5 Reasons to Wish Your Dentist Happy National Dentist Day!1st March 2017 - 9:00 am
- Here’s how a toothbrush can contribute to a healthy heart17th November 2016 - 11:14 am
- How Your Diet Affects Your Teeth25th May 2016 - 10:40 am
- Teeth Whitening: Behind the White Smiles20th April 2016 - 11:44 am
- The ‘Dreaded’ Dentist24th March 2016 - 5:07 pm
- Would YOU have a non-surgical nose job?2nd December 2015 - 1:42 pm
- What your TONGUE says about your health: Leading expert reveals the top causes of bad breath – including some toothpastes28th October 2015 - 2:34 pm